Jacelyn's Favorite Things- The Face and Lips

Since I talked extensively about all my favorite products for the eyes, I wanted to make sure I covered the face and lips! I want to note that when it comes to the face and foundations, a lot is going to depend on your skin type, the coverage you want, and the texture you like after it dries. Some people like a dewey moist finish, some like a matte feel. Point being- you have to know what you like. Some foundations have lots of SPF so choosing the right foundation is going to depend on you and not only what you like, but whether you are willing to put your sunscreen on separately or not. Because remember- sunscreen is a MUST. So- the two I'm going to talk about are both wonderful choices, but both are lacking enough 
sunscreen. 


The first is what I have worn for years. It's Merle Norman's Luxiva Lasting Foundation- SPF 12. It has a wonderful, soft, creamy application and great coverage. It dries mat and does have some serious staying power. I like it because it has never felt heavy or cakey. It even does well when used as spot coverage for a blemish. Per Paula Begoun, the color selection isn't great, for me, the creamy beige is perfect, but depending on your skin color these may not work. I also like that it is in a tube. It's easy to get out exactly what you need and no annoying, drippy glass bottle.






The other is one I recently discovered. Estee Lauder has an entire line of Double Wear- Stay in Place products and trust me, I will be testing these. However, I got a sample of their foundation a few months ago and it was a must have. It has more coverage and is certainly heavier than Merle Norman's, but that extra coverage is excellent and really lasts. The biggest drawback to me is the bottle it is  packaged in. I find it messy and really old fashioned. The other problem is that it is only SPF 10. Paula's has criticized them for this as well. Why so low? Maybe they will change that and the packaging eventually. They have a light version of their Double Wear as well, which I have tried and liked. So if coverage isn't something you are after, it might be an option. It dries mat and you do have to blend quickly  before it sets and make sure that your face is moisturized. Estee's will not go on smoothly if it is not and really, none of these heavier duty ones will.  






So speaking of smooth, I don't use this everyday, but on occasions or days that I really want my makeup to last, I use Smashbox's Photo Finish oil free foundation primer. This stuff will leave your face feeling silky soft. I actually have a friend who likes to wear this alone over her moisturizer and no makeup at all. She likes how it is silky and has a matte finish. It feels so light and your makeup will glide on after using this.






I wanted to touch on a moisturizer that I thought everyone should know about. I know I've already talked about skin care, but this product is something I use only on occasion. That occasion being for example, when the season's change and my skin feels extra dry, nothing quenches it like this stuff. If my face is feeling even a little dry (or scalp!) I use Osmotics Cream Extreme Barrier repair. I discovered this darling a few years ago after a trip to Vegas where I returned home with my under eyes literally so dry they were peeling. It's hard to cover up a dark circle when your skin is dry lemme tell ya. So, I hit up www.beautipedia.com and found this. I picked it up at Nordstrom and I have it had it forever. A little goes a long way and the jar is $75 but  well worth it. This stuff is good for the face, body and even works well for eczema (although I can't say I have used it for that). But literally after one application my eyes were better. I actually take this stuff and once a month or so, just pack this on my face and go to bed. My skin wakes up fabulous the next morning.






So, any of you girls or guys (the package is NOT girley at all) this is a must have. I plan on using this on my face as protection before a long bike ride or run and after., especially in the winter so I'm not chapped. 


Cheeks- in truth, I buy blush's more based on the color I want than the brand but the long lasting qualities as well. But these are my two favorites, not only for the selection of colors, but for the long lasting qualities.


 L'Oreal True Match super-blendable blush. This little compact will last me forever (not that I should keep it that long) because this stuff is so pigment rich and yes, it lasts. With a good brush (not the one in the package) this goes on and blends beautifully. 






In addition, Maybelline has their Dream Mousse Blush. It's this fluffy cream ( I almost want to eat it) and it goes on sheer, smooth and with a tiny hint of sparkle. This stuff is great for layering, which is exactly what I do depending on my mood. A bronzer goes nicely over this. 






Lips- Ahhh, another area where I struggle. I barely have a top lip and when I smile, it pretty much disappears. So- dark harsh colors just make my lips look smaller (thanks Natalie for finally breaking that harsh truth to me). The darkest I go is  Estee Lauder's Double Wear lipstick. What do I like about these babies? What don't I like? They go on like a lipstick, but stay in place without getting dry or cakey or peely. Any of you that have tried some of these other long wear lip products know exactly what I'm talking about. These wear off like a lipstick as well, instead of coming off in weird rings or patches. And, the don't feel dry at all and you can still add some shine from a gloss without ruining it and making it all sticky.






But my other favorite and purse/makeup drawer/car/jacket pocket while I run or bike- is L'Oreal's Infallible Lipgloss. It claims to last 6 hours and although I have never timed it, it does last, especially compared to most lipglosses. It isn't sticky like fly paper and they have some great colors available. If I was on a deserted Island, this would be with me. 






I haven't combined these two favorites yet, but plan on it soon! A full report will follow!


As you can see, some of these products are pricey some are not, so whether you have a big budget or not, you can find great products out there. And, FYI-Nordstrom is really great about returns, even for makeup. So,  if you try something and don't like it you can bring it back! 


Swim, Bike, Run and Live Pretty!





0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top IRONPRETTY. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.