Jacelyn's Favorite Things- The EYES (move over Oprah)





I wanted to touch on some products that were somewhat part of the inspiration for this blog. I have found some fantastic long lasting products in the last few years. Mostly, courtesy of my sister Natalie's trial and error, but also my own. So, I thought that this was vital information to share with you all. I'll start with the eyes...

So I like eye shadow...in theory anyway. I see the magazine ads and commercials and like everyone else I think wow- if I buy those colors and that brand- my eyes will look THAT GOOD. Wrong, wrong wrong...I don't have strangely shaped eyes or anything, but for me, eye shadow looks good for about 2-3 hours, maybe, and then its creased into a gross greasy line. So lets just say after trying at around age 16
to wear it successfully up until around ohh...5 months ago, I thought I just wasn't one of those eyes that could ever wear eye shadow well. And then BAM- my sister, again, makeup expert extraordinaire discovers Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay-in-Place ShadowCreme. My life was changed forever.

The discovery happened when Natalie found out I was engaged to be married. And being the most awesome sister ever- she researched on her own to find stay put makeup for me on the big day (she knows me well and anticipated a lot of tears). On my wedding day- September 7th, 2009 she finished my makeup at around 1:30pm for a 5:30pm Wedding. The next morning at around 10am, I woke up blissfully happy to be married to my dream guy- but also with my eyes still looking absolutely fabulous!!! What the heck? I have never had eye shadow make it through that many hours, much less that many tears, sweat (outside in Napa, CA at 5pm in September is still HOT...and add nerves to that too!), dancing, my wedding night, sleeping and just the sheer number of hours it stayed on! I will never forget staring at myself in the mirror the next morning and not only finding myself married but looking good too! Dreams do come true I tell ya!



I was hooked. I went and bought every single color they have as soon as we got back from the honeymoon. It opened up a whole new world for me! Here's the beauty about these babies- not only do they apply smoothly, but they are sheer enough that you can layer any of your regular powder eye shadows over them and all of sudden like magic- POOF- those last forever now too!!! My favorite color is Pink Amethyst because it's a soft, rosy color that is great to use as a base for layering. For highlighting the brow bone- Ivory Lace adds that perfect amount of shimmer. And Antique Gold is just rich and warm and yummy! I love these shadows. $17.50 is what you will pay, but with the purchase of just one of these you could add a whole world of possibilities o your existing powder shadows, or like me, say goodbye to creases and have gorgeous eyes all day long. Bravo Estee Lauder- you outdid yourself on this one!



My next little darling that I can't live without is my Smashbox #21 arced liner brush. When it comes to creme eye liners, this is what you must have to apply it. It rocks. As far as the eye liners themselves, I like two- Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner- in bronze. It's a warm brown color with a nice shimmer to it that goes great at night or day. It lasts all day long too- and yes, if you rub it, it will smudge which is a good thing so you can soften the line. You should not have a hard line around your eyes EVER. And- you shouldn't be touching your face- EVER after your makeup is done right? So this shouldn't be an issue. And Merle Norman has a nice one as well, Luxiva Lasting Creme Eyeliner. I have that in black and it's great for evening or when I want a little more drama. And again, this one smudges nicely too. Both have great staying power and with the arced liner brush application is easy!



When I was in Paris on my honeymoon I bought some mascara that at the time was more of a splurge, but I have actually really fallen in love with it. Givenchy Phenomenon Eyes Effet Extension. No flakes, no smears, quick dying time and it is applied to your lashes with the spherical brush. A little scary in the beginning, yes- it did take getting used to, but now I love it. I can tackle each and every lash individually. It is pricey however (around $28), but I swear it seems to last longer than other mascaras.



The next product is just a fun one and an inexpensive one. Victoria's Secret has a Liquid Glitter Liner in various shades of sparkle- gold, silver, copper, etc.. They go great OVER your eyeliner which if it's either of the ones I mentioned above give this one great staying power as well. The best part.. it's usually around $6.



There are a lot of powder eye shadows out there, Estee Lauder has wonderful ones, as does Mac and many many others. I got the Tigi Bed Head Party Palette from my sister one Christmas and alas, because I had yet to discover the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place ShadowCremes I adored the wonderful collection of colors but didn't wear them much per my above "creasing problem". I have two of them now and they are filled with 8 brilliant shades each. The apply smoothly, the density of color is just right to make it light or darker depending on the look you want. They are a must have.






Now lets talk under eyes. Ugh... I hate mine. regardless of how much sleep I have gotten, I have circles. It's just my DNA I guess. So- if I was stranded on a desert island, what one product would I want (aside from sunscreen)?? Under eye concealer. So my current favorite- Coverblend by Exuviance (available at Ulta). It's a multi-function concealer and guess what? It even has SPF 15! It has great staying power and really good coverage. My only caveat- make sure you have nicely moisturized under your eyes or it won't go on as smoothly as you might want.

OK- so for you ladies like me that might have a teeny crease or two around the eye area. Don't ya hate it when a few minutes after you have applied your concealer you look in the mirror and the concealer has creased in that little wrinkle or line? I absolutely do, because what happens next? You take your little finger and smudge it of course! And we all know you shouldn't be touching our faces after we are done with our makeup! So, I discovered my miracle. Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder. Basically it sets your concealer and lightens the under eye area slightly because it's white with the teeniest shimmer to reflect the light. To me, I can't have concealer without my setting powder.






So there you have it- my favorite must have products for the eyes. After all, they say that our eyes are mirrors to our souls right? So shouldn't they look fabulous?

Swim, bike, run and live PRETTY!!

1 comments:

Unknown said...
January 17, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Still loving that Estee eyeshadow over here too! I feel its my duty to tell anyone who even wears eyeshadow about it. Friends, family, strangers- all are converts. I think that the "pink blush" shade is the exact color every fair skinned woman wishes her eyes woke up looking like; it makes me look awake and bright! I will literally hunt down every one of them if they ever discontinue it.

Back to Home Back to Top IRONPRETTY. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.