The Idea

On December 19th, after watching the Ironman Championship in Kona, HI on NBC, I signed up for my own Ironman. Ironman Louisville on August 29th, 2010. What is that you ask? Am I crazy? Maybe so.. but I'm thrilled really and because of this challenge, another idea was born that in my opinion will be something women everywhere will benefit from. But we'll get into that shortly.....

First off- what is an Ironman? Well, it's a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike and then you top that off with a full marathon, a whopping 26.2 mile run.

WOAH. Why did I do that?? I'm not some fabulous athlete, I never even enjoyed running, or biking and swimming... well, putting my face in the water-ANY WATER- wasn't something I liked to do.

3 years ago, shortly after I started dating my now husband, Brian, I went to race in Hampton Virginia to watch him race. It was a short race, a sprint triathlon I believe. Which is typically a 500-800 meter swim, 16-20 mile bike and a 3 mile run. I was horrified watching these people, why would anyone do that to themselves?? It looks hard, and getting in the water and swimming that FAR. Forget about it!! After the race was over, I had one of those moments that I think I knew even then would be a moment I'd remember for the rest of my life. This girl asked me when I was going to do my first triathlon. I laughed and said, no way, never, not in a million years. And I meant that statement whole heartedly. I couldn't even imagine, mostly because the last time I rode my bike was around the cul de sac at my parents when I was 16 years old, I hadn't run since my last soccer practice, sometime in 1994 and swimming.. well as I said before I just don't do. I joke that in a past life I was eaten by a shark because I have always been really really afraid of water. I mean, yeah, I get in the pool and ride in a boat and all that, but the thought of swimming, putting my face in water that is dark is my worst nightmare. So before I go on, a little more history. I'm not completely insane in signing up for this race.

It really all started when I got an email from my office about a 5k race we were sponsoring. I forwarded it to Brian and he responded to me, "Sure baby, I'll do that with you."

WHAT? No, no no, I never wanted to do it, I just thought he might. But then I started thinking, what the heck, I can train and run a 5k, that's only 3.1 miles. So I did, I trained and I did the race. At mile 2.8 I thought I might die, but I did it. And crossing that finish line was awesome. I was so totally and completely hooked. That was in October 2006. In March of 2007 I ran my first full Marathon with a time of like 5:35 (the Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach, a fabulous race). Everyone thought I was insane to go from a 5k to a marathon, but the challenge really motivated me. Then I ran the NY Marathon in November of 2007 and then the Shamrock again in 2008 where I ran my personal record of 4:24!!! I was thrilled to have taken so much time off. And at this point I need to add that I had help, not only did I have an athlete boyfriend who gave me all the inside scoop on what to do, but I had a VERY fabulous coach. The one and only, the great Diane Haupt. I couldn't have made these kinds of improvements without her expertise. But, clearly, I'm not very fast compared with the folks that actually win and compete, but I get it done and I'm good with that.

So, around the same time, I took my second step in the world of crazy. I decided I was done being a wienie and I wanted to learn how to swim. What better motivation could I possibly give myself than to sign up for a 70.3 triathlon. What is this now you ask? Well, this is half the distance of a full Ironman. Its a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run. The race was Beach 2 Battleship in Wilmington NC in November of 2008.

So, yes, I did it and I LOVED it. Especially the swim!! Coming out of the water was the most amazing feeling. I had done it, conquered my fear and swam 1.2 miles! There is really no words to describe how happy I was.

2009 was a crazy year for Brian and I. There were no big races really or much in the way of training because on February 13th, 2009 we got engaged and we married on September 7th, 2009. So, it was a busy year for us, just not training. And as 2009 was coming to close he decided to ramp up his training and I thought, well if he is going to ramp it up a notch, well so should I. And what could be more challenging than an Ironman!!

The last bit of history for you here- if you have never been witness to an Ironman than you really have no idea what an extraordinary finish line it is. Brian had the privilege of competing in the Ironman Championship in Kona HI in 2008. The athletes are of all types and backgrounds and the pros are just awe inspiring. Every person has an amazing story and as each one crosses that line, whether they crossed it in 9 hours or 16 hours and 59 minutes you can't help but wonder about the journey that got them there and what crossing that lines means to them.

So back to the question I have been asking... am I crazy? Maybe, but who doesn't want to accomplish something as great as this?

Ok- so here's the thing that surprises my family and friends when I tell them I am doing this. They think it's crazy because of the obvious reasons but also because I am close to being THE GIRLIEST GIRL on the planet. I am in no way shape or form your typical triathlete or runner. My friends refer to my hair as "pageant hair" because it's really long and thick and wavy. They also always wonder how I manage to cross the finish line with makeup on, particularly lipstick on. They joke that I don't sweat and make fun of my pink running skirts. I'm ok and used to it, I embrace my girlieness and firmly believe that you should look good for important moments of your life. And isn't crossing the line at your first marathon or 70.3 or Ironman exactly that? You get your makeup done for your wedding right? Isn't this also a lifetime achievement that will be captured by tons of photographers? YES YES and YES!! So, my idea was born...

I am going do a little experiment while I train. The experiment being that I am going try different long wearing make up products and see which ones actually last like they claim they do. Foundation, blush, mascara, eye shadow, concealer, all of it! And once I have narrowed it down to which ones I like the best in each category, then I am going to put them all to the ultimate test. I am going to wear them for Ironman Louisville. What could be more challenging I say? I have 17 hours to finish the race and if my makeup can last through a swim, bike, run, sweat, tears and the elements, well, I think it's safe to say it might make it though a night out, or a work day.

Do I think a lot of athletes will care about this? I don't know, but I do think that there are a lot of women out there that if they just knew what to use, and were educated about the right products, they would use them. And for the women out there that could care less about triathlon, this is for you too. This is the ultimate test I say.

So, let the trials begin and the training begin. My official Ironman training starts in February. January is time for me to do some light running, and some weight training mostly and research. I have two secret weapons in which to do this with. The first being my sister Natalie. She is not only the best hair stylist in the world, but makeup artist extraordinaire and general expert on all things beauty related. The second is the maker of my favorite skin care line- Paula's Choice. Paula Begoun has done all the research of what products are good for your skin, do what they say and are generally good products and in relation to how much they cost. I love her! Check her out at www.cosmeticscop.com or where all her reviews for her products are- www.beautypedia.com.

My plan is to try each product during the day while I go to work, put them all to a running test if they can even last the work day, then a bike test, then a swim test and so on. By the time I get to the hard core workouts where I have 4-5 hour bike rides followed by an hour of running I hope to have narrowed it down to the best of the best.

So- the experiment begins with Estee Lauder. I am trying their double wear foundations, eye shadow, and eye liners this week.


I hope many of you will join me on this journey whether it be for the training for Ironman aspect or my mission to find the longest lasting makeup, regardless, it will be fun I'm sure.

Please feel free to suggest products as well!

And remember to run, bike and swim pretty!!

3 comments:

Nicole said...
January 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM

only you Jacelyn....but regardless...even if the make-up runs you will still look totally fantastic when you finish...are you going to train with D for this adventure too??!! I really wanted to join you but I knew it would be a stretch with school...maybe for 2012 or 2013...in the mean time I'm always up for a swim!!

Missy said...
January 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I read about a gazillion blogs on which people blog about different aspects of their training. I guess I'm a geek cuz I could literally read them all day. However, yours is definitely a unique perspective. I always ALWAYS look like crap in my triathlon (and running) pictures! Maybe you can help!

Unknown said...
January 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Love it, Jace! Only you can look that damned good all the darned time!!!! It's disgusting... but it a really good way ;)
I definitely will be up for some super tips from you!! hugs!

Back to Home Back to Top IRONPRETTY. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.